We are looking for full-stack SOA engineers with grit. Every day we're solving problems that have either never been solved before, or have never been solved at this scale. We run our team very fast and very lean, which means every engineer has a high degree of ownership and potential impact – and we are looking for candidates with the chops to handle it.
Recently named one of the top 10 most promising companies in America by Forbes Magazine and one of the "Best Places To Work" in the nation by Outdoor Magazine, The Trade Desk offers a culture of "relaxed intensity" – one that comes from working alongside one of the most talented teams in our industry, and leading in a race that is ours to lose.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
· Equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
· 5+ years professional experience in software development
· Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
· Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java, or Perl
· Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team.
· Ability to excel in a fast-paced, startup-like environment.
· Experience building extremely high volume and highly scalable web services.
· Experience building highly available systems and operating 24x7 services.
· Experience with distributed systems, consistent hashing, distributed locking, replication, and load balancing.
· Working knowledge of Kubernetes, Hadoop, MapReduce, Storm, Spark or other Big Data processing platform.
· Experience with at least one modern scripting language such as Ruby, Python or PHP.
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
· Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency and drive.
· Master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software
· Programming experience with at least one modern
language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design.
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture
and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling)
of new and current systems.
· Experience making contributions to opensource platforms.
· Experience building extremely high volume and highly scalable online services.
· Experience operating highly available services.
· Experience with distributed systems, consistent hashing, distributed locking, check-pointing, and load balancing.
· Working knowledge of Hadoop, MapReduce, Kafka, Kinesis, Spark or other Big Data processing platforms.
· Ability to excel in a fast-paced, startup-like environment.
· Experience mentoring other engineers.
· Strong problem solving ability and object-oriented design skills.
What you’ll be doing:
As a Senior Java Developer, you will architect the components and servers that our
customers use to solve their biggest problems. The mission of a Java Developer is to design
and build capabilities that allow users to analyze their data to meet their needs. They are
involved in all stages of the product development and deployment lifecycle: idea
generation, user interviews, planning, design, prototyping, execution, shipping and iteration:
Will code, test, debug, and install both new
Work the architecture of system design, where your contribution fits into the overall
project scope allowing you to have a big picture understanding
What we need
Must have a minimum of 4+ years of work experience in a similar position or
Ability to write clean, maintainable code
Strong engineering background
Familiarity with data structures, storage systems, cloud infrastructure, distributed
computing, and other technical tools
Proficiency in: Java,
Maintain code integrity and organization
Proficient experience using server APIs (REST, JS-API, GraphQL, etc)
A good understanding
Understanding and implementation of security and data protection
Requires a bachelor’s degree or technical certification or equivalent work
What we want:
Skill and comfort working in a rapidly changing environment with dynamic
objectives and iteration with users
Must be able to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment and handle
Be able to communicate and work with people of all technical levels in a team
Be willing to take feedback and incorporate it into your work
decisions with minimal supervision
Ability to deal positively with shifting priorities
Must work from our Irvine office location
Be willing to travel to
Generous medical, dental, and vision plans
Vacation, sick, and paid holidays offered
Kitchen stocked with snacks and drinks
Work with talented and collaborative co-workers
Experience and Skills:
-Enterprise-Level architect for 'Big Data' Event processing, analytics, data store, and cloud platforms.
-Enterprise-Level architect for cloud applications and 'Platform as a Service' capabilities
-Detailed current-state product and requirement analysis.
-Security Architecture for 'Big Data' applications and infrastructure
-Ensures programs are envisioned, designed, developed, and implemented across the enterprise to meet business needs. Interfaces with the enterprise architecture team and other functional areas to ensure that most efficient solution is designed to meet business needs.
-Ensures solutions are well engineered, operable, maintainable, and delivered on schedule. Develops, documents, and ensures compliance with best practices including but not limited to the following coding standards, object oriented design, platform and framework specific design concerns and human interface guidelines.
-Tracks and documents requirements for enterprise development projects and enhancements.
-Monitors current and future trends, technology and information that will positively affect organizational projects; applies and integrates emerging technological trends to new and existing systems architecture. Mentors team members in relevant technologies and implementation architecture.
-Contributes to the overall system implementation strategy for the enterprise and participates in appropriate forums, meetings, presentations etc. to meet goals.
-Gathers and understands client needs, finding key areas where technology leverage is possible to improve business processes, defines architectural approaches and develops technology proofs. Communicates technology direction.
-Monitors the project lifecycle from intake through delivery. Ensures the entire solution design is complete and consistent from the start and seeks to remove as much re-work as possible.
-Works with product marketing to define requirements. Develops and communicates system/subsystem architecture. Develops clear system requirements for component subsystems.
-Acts as architectural lead on project.
-Applies new and innovative ideas to old or new problems. Fosters environments that encourage innovation. Contributes to and supports effort to further build intellectual property via patents.
-Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
-Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
-Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
-Demonstrated experience with 'Platform as a Service' (PaaS) architectures including strategy, architectural patterns and standards, approaches to multi-tenancy, scalability, and security.
-Demonstrated experience with schema and data governance and message metadata stores
-Demonstrated experience with public cloud resources such as AWS.
-Demonstrated experience with cloud automation technologies including Ansible, Terraform, Chef, Puppet, etc
-Hands-on experience with Data Flow processing engines, such as Apache NiFi
-Working knowledge / experience with Big Data platforms (Kafka, Hadoop, Storm/Spark, NoSQL, In-memory data grid)
-Working knowledge / experience with Linux, Java, Python.
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent
Field of Study
- Engineering, Computer Science
11+ years in Software Engineering Experience
4+ years in Technical Leadership roles
1+ years in Cloud Infrastructure